Niagen is a natural supplement that comes to us courtesy of ChromaDex, which has been advertised as the first and only form of NR (nicotinamide riboside) which is commercially available. This supplement contains the Vitamin B3 metabolite NR, which plays a crucial role in your mitochondrial health and your cell communication.
NR is the sole ingredient in Niagen, and it has been linked to several health benefits including improved muscle endurance, energy, metabolism, brain health, and cardiovascular health to name just a few. Niagen has positioned itself as an exceptional supplement, and below we will try and determine whether that is true by looking closer at the benefits of this supplement. So if you want to know the reasons why you should take Niagen, continue reading the article below.
What is (NR) Nicotinamide Riboside?
Niagen claims that it does not contain stimulants, toxins, or allergens, and that the only ingredient in the supplement is NR. So what exactly is NR? Well, NR is a Vitamin B3 metabolite, which transforms to NAD+ (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide) in the body. NAD+ is vital to your mitochondrial health, and as you may know mitochondria are the powerhouses of our cells.
So why don’t you just take NAD+ directly instead of taking NR? Well, NAD+ cannot be consumed directly, because it cannot survive our digestive tracts. It is why we take NR in supplement form, so that it can convert to NAD+ when it enters into our body.
Niagen therefore gives us a way to consume NAD+ safely and effectively.
NR and Cell Aging
Niagen is sometimes referred to as the fountain of youth, due to the fact that NR has been linked to anti-aging. When we are young, we have rich amounts of NAD+ in our cells. This NAD+ is what gives us energy, as well as a youthful appearance. However, as we age NAD+ is depleted by nearly 50%, and this prevents mitochondria from properly communicating in our cells. When this happens we will feel loss of energy and loss of motivation, and we also become susceptible to diseases, free radicals, and degenerative conditions like dementia.
So grey hair, fatigue, wrinkles, disease, memory loss, and death can all be linked to depleted NAD+ levels. One way to stop and reverse this process is by boosting levels of NAD+, which can occur by consuming NR. That is why Niagen has included NR into this supplement, so that you can benefit from ant-aging benefits.
What are the benefits of Niagen?
NR is a precursor to NAD+, which is crucial to our mitochondrial health and ultimately out overall health. Each capsule of Niagen contains 250mg of NR, which will boost your NAD+ levels. This boost of NAD+ delivers exceptional health benefits to your body, particularly to muscle endurance, brain health, metabolism, and anti-aging. We will explore this further below.
1. NR activates sirtuins, which is a class of proteins that promotes mitochondrial activity so that free radicals do not damage your cells. This is as opposed to dealing with the cellular damage when it has already been done.
2. Taking Niagen also boosts mitochondrial function, in order to stop and reverse the effects of aging.
3. NR supports healthy cholesterol levels, in order to maintain good cardiovascular health.
4. Niagen promotes brain health, and prevents brain degeneration that comes with age (dementia and Alzheimer’s). This is achieved through inhibiting the degeneration of nerve cells that transmit data. Additionally, Niagen offers neuroprotection.
5. Niagen will maintain neuronal cell health, and enhance cognitive function.
6. Niagen boosts cellular metabolism, in turn increasing energy production at the cellular level.
7. Niagen has also been shown to reduce weight gain caused by high-fat diets, by increasing your overall energy expenditure. And best of all, there is no need for you to go on a diet or change your exercise routine.
8. Niagen has also been associated with better sleep, better memory, fewer wrinkles, decreased appetite, brighter eyes, vivid dreams, decreased muscle soreness, happy/positive attitudes, and increased moisture in the skin.
Niagen Benefits Conclusion
Every individual is different, and so the benefits that I have outlined above will be more potent in some and less potent in others. Many users of Niagen have reported experiencing some of these benefits in just one day, while others have taken longer to start witnessing the changing health benefits. My advice for you would be to wait for 30 days before making your final determination on Niagen. Best of luck with this!